Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Featured Guest - Kim Zapalac

Since we can't all retreat with each other at the same time, wouldn't it be fun to at least get to "meet" each other?  I've decided to feature some retreaters here on the blog.  Let me introduce you to our very first featured guest, Kim Zapalac.  By the way (and I think you'll agree with me) she did an outstanding job in answering the questions!)
 
Tell us something about yourself. I was born in New York and moved to Houston when I was 13 years old. I have lived in Texas ever since and love the beautiful flowers, countryside and beaches!! I became an avid photographer and scrap booker in high school and continued my hobby through parenthood. When my daughter was six months old I went to a Creative Memories party and was hooked. I started making Creative Memories scrapbooks in 1997 and also became a consultant. I remained a consultant until they went of business. I still make scrapbooks and love to attend retreats.  I try to attend at least four retreats a year! Scrapbooking is just one of the many crafting hobbies I enjoy. I also partake in painting, sewing, quilting, card making and much more. I am very blessed to have a loving and supportive family who encourage me to do my crafting!
 
I have been married 25 years and have two beautiful children. Ross (age 22) and Bridgette (18.) They both attend Texas A&M University, so we are BIG AGGIE fans. I am also the mother of two beautiful fur babies! Sasha, our rescue lab is four and Bentley, our giant lab puppy who thinks he is a bunny is a year old. They love to go on long walks, swim in our community lake. I am also a lucky Grandmommie of my son's lab mix, Shiner, the best Granddog ever. My favorite season is fall; I love the colors, celebrations, decorations and the football, oh the football. I LOVE TO WATCH football (especially college games!)
 
How did you find out about Whitworth Ranch Retreat? I attended a retreat a few years ago and met a very close friend of the owner of the Whitworth Ranch. We were discussing the next retreat (as we always do near the end of the retreat.) She suggested we try out the Whitworth Ranch since it was such a lovely retreat. She also told us about the hot tub and pool available to use at the retreat. Well, once I heard about the pool and that the owner was an executive chef. I was SOLD. I stood up out of my seat and shouted out “sign me up!”  I have been there attending three to four retreats a year ever since that day! Actually, I haven’t been to another retreat since I attended my first retreat at the Whitworth Ranch. I consider it my home away from home.
 
How many times have you been there? Total retreats. I think seven times and soon to be eight. I am attending a sewing retreat the last week end of September!
 
Were you in a mixed group or did you fill the house with your own friends? Most of the retreats have been with all of my friends, but I have been with a mixed group there as well, which worked out just fine since there are two sleeping houses with full kitchens and bathrooms. Also, there are two separate scrapbooking rooms, so mixed groups can easily be accommodated. I don’t mind mixed groups at retreats. I think it makes the retreat fun and exciting. I also enjoy mixed groups because it gives me an opportunity to make new friends!!
 
If there is an opening for just one person, are you open to attending a retreat with women you’ve never met? Yes, I am open to attending a retreat with people I don’t know. Actually, the next retreat I am attending is with a sewing group of women I have never met, but I am excited to go and learn how to make a special quilt.
 
Are you a paper crafter, quilter, knitter, jewelry maker or trouble-maker? So funny!! All of the above with a very teeny tiny amount of jewelry making! I've been paper crafting for 40+ years, quilting (brand-spanking new quilter), knitting (made one knitted item 30 years ago), jewelry making (about 15+ years, but I only make a few items a year!!) I LOVE BEADING!!  Trouble-maker – all the time for 50+ YEARS!!
 
When you create something, do you sell, keep or gift? Again, all of the above. I sell some premade scrapbooking pages and or supplies to make the pages. Would love to sell some quilts, but always keep them or give them away as gifts.
 
What is your signature style? I guess you could say Shabby Chic. I love making old stuff into beautiful items. I have mostly a traditional style. I LOVE antiques (and own many!) When scrapbooking, I am a traditional scrap booker. I’ve done a few digital books based on a special occasion or celebration. I love Smash Books and recently started making Junk Journals, all while trying to keep my family and vacation books current! Needless to say, I am a very busy scrap booker!!
 
What have you created that you are most proud of – and why? My most treasured creation is my daughter’s high school graduation Junk Journal (below.) It is perfect collection of her cards, pictures and special memorabilia. I had so MUCH fun making this book!!
 
Do you have any crafting secrets you would like to share? No crafting secrets. I like to use memorabilia as embellishments. And, I am recently obsessed with liquid pearls.
 
If Ms. Muse decides not to show up, where do you get your inspiration? Idea books and my electronic idea database organized by theme. And of course my collection of page ideas on Pinterest.
 
Do you have a dedicated craft area in your home? Yes, I have a craft room in our upstairs fourth bedroom and it is jammed packed with stickers, paper racks, two work desks, a bed and television. Shelves reach from floor to ceiling crammed with artwork, pictures and lots of paper - oh the paper!! The walls are covered with framed artwork from my kids' preschool and elementary days. Displayed in my special room are my special treasures and collections: I have my gnome collection in there as well as my Topo Gigio (a very famous puppet from The Ed Sullivan Show, late 1950s, early '60s.)
 
 
Are you a neat or a messy crafter? Messy crafter all the way!!
 
Finish this sentence:  When I am in my creative space ... I usually spend most of my time organizing!
 
It’s time to go shopping.  Does most of your money go to Hobby Lobby, Joann’s, Michael’s or a local scrapbook store?  Or are you an on-line shopper? Oh, my gosh, all of the above again!! So, I will put in order. Mostly Hobby Lobby, which is about three miles from my home.) Then online. Michael’s and Joann’s last. We really don’t have any local scrapbooking stores in Houston anymore (which makes me very sad) L I miss Archivers! There is one VERY small one in Spring which is about 20 miles from our home. I only go there about once a year. I prefer locally owned and I always visit May and shop at her store in Mayfield the Whitworth Ranch.
 
If you were given $1000 to spend on craft supplies/tools what would you purchase? Liquid Pearls, adhesives, scrapbooks, page protectors, flowers, embossing sets and lots and lots of paper!!
 
Do you spend hours and hours looking at blogs?  Do you have a blog? I love blogs, but I don’t have one!! I also LOVE Pinterest. BTW.
 
I know.  I know.  What happens at the retreat stays at the retreat.  Let’s break a few rules.  Tell me something interesting that was said or happened on one of your retreats. Well, we love to watch musicals and sing to all the songs. I guess that’s not a big secret, but it is a FUN fact. We love to have some cocktails while floating in the pool. Well, we did have a wild afternoon in the pool and some twerking and booty clapping went on.  Not to mention any names, but some of us did have to take a long nap after that!! We always have so much fun!! Again, no secret, but a fun fact!!
 
Now that you've met Kim, wouldn't you just love to spend a weekend with her?  I'm sure she could teach us all something since her interests are all over the place: scrapbooking, jewelry-making, quilting.  Oh, and twerking!  I'm not sure what booty clapping is but I'm sure she would be happy to teach us that, too.  Thank you, Kim, for being the first featured guest.  I know I can't wait to meet you!

Would you like to share a little something about yourself?  Just let me know - we'd all love to meet you!

Remember one thing:  YOU matter.  See you next time!

1 comment: